Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:26:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, Smith@ian.org, Dermot McNally <dermot@traveldev.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Numbering of fxp devices

> I think you're making this way harder than it needs to be.  I use the
> following in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> ether=$(ifconfig ed1 |grep ether |cut -c 8-24)
> echo Ethernet address is ${ether}
> case ${ether} in
>     00:e0:29:32:67:7c)
>         hostname="rig1.vnltest"
>         ifconfig_ed1="inet 10.5.0.101 netmask 0xffffff00"
>         ;;
>     00:e0:29:32:67:7f)

This is fine if you just want a nice way to have the cards get the right
IP addresses.  And for most people, it probabably isn't really a big
issue at all.  I agree that this _mostly_ isn't necessary, and should
definitely not be a priority.

However... For us, we dont even use the second card as a network card --
it is merely a bootrom-delivery-mechanism.  The second card doesn't have a
cable plugged into it at all (the first is integrated onto the motherboard
of the boxes and is connected to a switch at the top of the rack...)

We do have an rc script that checks to see if there are two cards and if
so, then we use fxp1 as our primary interface, ignoring the
not-even-connected fxp0.  The probelm is that because we have lots and
lots of machines we dont have all our boxes at the same rev of FreeBSD and
depending on the phase of the moon you may be using fxp1 or fxp0 as your
only active interface.  This actually hasn't been a terrible problem, but
it leads to confusion, especially with our new admins.  The less
differences between boxes (even though the OS may be a different rev) the
better.  Differences just lead to extra administrative effort and can lead
to problems.  So, we seek to minimize visible differences like this.  If
we had network interface aliases, then we could just set the alias and
then train our new sys-admins to always use the alias.

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.