Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:50:13 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Will Downs <rbi@techzone.cx>, Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipnat port rdr question.

On 20 Apr 99, at 16:01, Ludwig Pummer wrote:

> At 01:25 PM 4/20/99 , Doug White wrote:
> >On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Will Downs wrote:
> >
> >> I'm currently attempting to setup a FreeBSD firewall (running
> >> 3.1-RELEASE), i'm using ipnat to do network address translation. I have
> >> several *nix boxes behind the firewall, that all access the network
> >> perfectly using NAT.
> >
> >Excuse the question, but what is ipnat?  FreeBSD ships with natd.
>
> ipnat is the ipfilter version of natd for ipfw. It ships with 3.X and up.
>
> Dan Langille of www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd uses ipnat because he
> couldn't get natd to work for him.

I could get natd to work for me.  It just didn't do what I wanted.  I've
also found ipfilter to be very robust and feature rich.  Far more than is
needed for a site such as mine.  I reckon it's better suited to big
industrial strength sites as opposed to home nets like mine.

That said, I like it and it's my tool of choice for NAT and packet
filtering.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/