Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:32:00 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, patrick@xinside.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

Terry Lambert writes:

> > For those of us who've never seen a Solaris2 machine boot up, could
> > you perhaps tell us (though config@freebsd.org would be perhaps a
> > better mailing list on which to do it) what it looks like and what
> > about it you found so attractive?
>
> Remember the boot splash discussion?
>
> Now you know.

Except that Solaris doesn't _have_ a boot splash screen.

Well, on a SPARC there's a little picture embedded in the ROM that prints at
boot up, but that has nothing to do with Solaris.  For that matter, my PC
has a little AMI BIOS logo when it boots up.

Is there some PC UNIX that _does_ have a boot splash screen?

See my previous post (which I cc:ed to config, not hackers, as per Jordan's
suggestion), in which I discuss what Solaris does when it boots (logs
hardware probes to syslog by default, not the console), and why we should
keep FreeBSD the way it is (because x86 hardware is difficult to configure
and people WANT the hardware probe messages).

I also suggest that FreeBSD add a splash screen with clearly printed
directions on how to bypass it to see the hardware probes underneath.  We
could also add a custom FreeBSD logo to the CDE and/or XFree86 startup
sequences.  We could play .AU files while the system is starting up (as Sun
does with the Netra), or go all the way and create an X-based installation
program (as Solaris and some Linux distributions do).

But no, Solaris doesn't have a splash screen.

-- Jake