Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 02:59:22 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Minor oddity with sysinstall/disklabel on -current

So, I'm trying something on -current.

I boot up, log into root.  I have two hard disks on the system.  All
of my mounted partitions are on ad0, except for one partition on ad2.
I 'umount' that partition.  I run the Disklabel Editor via sysinstall.
I delete that partition, and then re-create it as a UFS2 partition.
I do the 'w'rite, and everything looks fine.

I drop out of sysinstall, do some things with that partition, and
then decide to redo the above sequence.  Everything has been working
fine, but I'm just testing some things and I end up in a position
where it's quicker to newfs the partition than it is to 'rm' the
files on it.  So, I do the same exact sequence (starting with the
'umount' before running sysinstall), and this time when I do the
'w'rite, I am told:

          ERROR: Unable to write data to disk ad2!

If I reboot, then I can repeat the sequence with no problem.

At the time I'm trying to do the 'w'rite, the disklabel screen
looks like:

Disk: ad2       Partition name: ad2s1   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
Disk: ad2       Partition name: ad2s2   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
Disk: ad2       Partition name: ad2s3   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)

Part      Mount          Size Newfs   Part      Mount          Size Newfs
----      -----          ---- -----   ----      -----          ---- -----
ad2s1a    <none>        150MB *       ad2s2a    <none>        160MB *
ad2s1b    swap          750MB SWAP    ad2s2f    <none>        125MB *
ad2s1e    <none>        150MB *       ad2s2g    <none>       4040MB *
ad2s1f    <none>        120MB *       ad2s2h    <none>       1175MB *
ad2s1g    <none>       4040MB *       ad2s3d    /usr/cvs/    3100MB UFS2+S Y
ad2s1h    <none>       2589MB *       ad2s3e    <none>       3136MB *

It is perhaps significant that the system's /etc/fstab does not
include *this* swap partition at bootup, but after doing the above
sequence I see:

(302)  swapctl -l
Device:       1024-blocks     Used:
/dev/ad0s4b     1792000        48
/dev/ad2s1b      768000         0

It is probably true that I should just type in the newfs command I
want instead of going thru sysinstall, but I was partially testing
to see if there was a bug in the way sysinstall was creating the
partition...