Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:23:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andriy Gapon <agapon@cv-nj.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   device wi CPU load

When doing 2Mbit/s transfers over a wireless link from/to my FreeBSD
Pentium Pro 200 MHz box I observe very high CPU load on it - about 50% of
interrupt load with 330+ interrupts per second. For comprison, 10Mbit
over wired ethernet produces less than 5% of load.

Is this sort of CPU utilization something expected (and wi is really CPU
hungry) or do I have some sort of problem here (like hardware config) ?

Here's my wireless card:

wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xe4002000-0xe4002fff irq 10 at device 13.0 on pci0
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:06:25:09:33:aa
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.01.00, Station 1.04.09
wi0: wi_has_wep = 1

It is operated in IBSS mode, WEP disabled.
As far as I can tell its irq is not shared with anything else. I have also
tried shaffling pci devices around and had it at irq 11 - same thing.

FreeBSD is 4.7-release-p3.

--
Andriy Gapon