Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 13:40:57 +0400 (GMT+0400)
From:      Anthony Graphics <agl@mac.glas.apc.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 950412 hangs on ncr0 probing:

On Mon, 29 May 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> I need to update my Quantum drive manual, don't have the Lightning or
> the Fireball series data in it.  There may also be a enable/disable
> jumper besides the Resistor Packs.  (It is true, some Quantum drives
> have both removable r-packs, and jumpers to enable/disable termination.)

Not the 540S we have here. It have only three jumpers for setting scsi id.
Anyway we've got the drive without the manual.

> > Anyway, kernel -c
> > disable wt0
> > disable mcd0
> > disable mcd1
> > helped (well mcd0 and mcd1 was on irq 10 and 11 and these ones
> > are configured for pci Slots 1 & 2 on asus, I have no idea how
> > pci bus works, but when I was installing Mach32 into the slot 1
> > on the very same board in the machine running linux I had
> > a conflict with AGUS which was using the very same irq.
> > I wonder whether the problem was IRQ conflict or mcd autoprobing)
>
> Something is going funky here with these drivers and the ASUS board,
> it is not the interrupts since the probes fail and we never do the
> IRQ attach.  I'll have to wait until my back ordered SP3G boards
> come in so I can debug this :-(.
>
> > > Just because a scsi bus works on one controller does not make it right,
> > > the termination could have been enabled on the 1542 and disabeld on
> > > the NCR for example.
> > >
> > Sure thing, but it's enabled in my case.
>
> Okay, just making sure.

> > >             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > Please don't try to fuss with compiler options when building the kernel,
> > > It can cause problems, we compile the way we set things up because that
> > > is what we know to work.  You put more variables into the equations when
> > > you do this type of stuff!!
> > >
> > Ok, I run 'config MYSYSTEMNAME' again and tried to compile:
> > cc1 still boiling out with error 'exited on signal 11(sometimes other random
> > signal, often 10))
>
> :-(, well, at least I got you booting SNAP-950412.
The same problem was in 2.0 so it's not something introduced in the
recent SNAPshots, just something that is in the way FreeBSD deals with
Saturn2 I guess...

> Well, one problem at a time, since we got the boot going, we need to
> move on to this signal 10/11 problem.  Have you set the external cache
> to write through mode.  The Saturn chip set used on the ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G
> has a bus master DMA cache invalidation bug (it fails to invalidate
> cache entries written by the NCR controller to main memory), this should
> fix your signal 10/11 problem.

Switched DMA Line Buffer Mode to Standard and
ISA Master Buffer Mode to Standers
just in case: still no luck.
Btw, what 486 PCI boards do work properly (The ones without NCR ok) ?

> > One thing to mention: I have compiled and installed gnu make into
> > /usr/local/bin/make and /usr/local/bin precedes /usr/bin in my path,
> > so I cd /sys/compile/MYSYSTEMNAME
> > and /usr/bin/make
> > it have nothing to do with problems with unexpected signal trapped by cc1
> > I suppose?
>
> Nope, cache bug in the board I am sure is what you are seeing.  Set the
> *External* cache to *Write-through* and your problem will vanish.
  ^^^^^^^^^^ There is only one "Cache Update Policy"(CUP) switch and I guess
it relates to the external cache. Are there motherboards out
there that let one to control the update policy for an internal cache ;-0 ?

I turned CUP into Wr-Through mode (are you sure the bug ain't fixed
in rev 4.0 aka Saturn-2?), and it haven't helped. Still getting sig 11 :-(
Well, I've disabled external cache at all: no light at the end of the tunnel;
disabled page modes, write buffers, etc: nothing helps.
And I've increased both dram and sram wait states to 1 cycle,
(two NEC's 9chip simms are 60 ns, so 0 should be enough I guess,
but anyway just a sefety precaution) : still no luck.

> > Now after successfully booting 0412SNAP kvm_mkdb still causes this printing
> > appearing on the console:
> >
> > May 29 11:24:11 relay /kernel: pid 209: kvm_mkdb: uid 0: exited on signal 10
> > Bus error (core dumped)
>
> See above...
>
> > > That was the exact sympton Boyd had, see my other email, on his system.
> > > I wish you had said up front you where using the on board NCR 810 of
> > > an ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G, it would have tripped my memory sooner that I
> > > had been here before.
> > >
> > I'm sorry: never knew which part would be essential for the
> > trouble report.
>
> And I forget to tell you about the cache bug on this board, gee, how
> stupid of me!!!

Nope, I have no idea whether the bug with write-back is gone but
changing flush policy to write-through haven't resolved the problem:
cc1 still gets random fatal sig 11 receptions.

> > Thanx!
> > Partially succeeded: 0412 boots at least. Strange: the system
> > I used before was some VLB of unknown origin with SIMMS of unknown
> > origin and it worked, now when I assembled the machine from parts
> > supplied by the well known producers it ain't working ;-)
>
> But you didn't buy it from a ``well known source'' who works all this
> out before he ships them :-) :-) :-)

Well if I were living in the CA (or US at least)
I 'd probably buying from the company like yours,
still there's no company like that here in Moscow,
and we can't wait looong time before equipment gets shipped.
Still, some things like Cisco AS5100 are too expensive here anyway
so we'd have to buy them in US (and at least such things can be
planned in advance: not the VLB motherboards burning cpus & adaptecs).

> > Ok here what it is:
> > super tower case with 2 fans and 400 Watt PSU (nearly empty)
>
> EEkksss... a 400W power supply with less than 100W of load on it
> can easily go out of regulation.  Most power supplies have a minium
> load requirement to do proper regulation.  This is often 10 to 25% of
> full load.  Your little SP3G, DX4-100(3.3V chip, not much draw there!),
> 16MB, and probably 1 disk drive are drawing <100W.  Please put a

Well, 32MB to be precise ;-) Still, I'll try to add more load asap ;-)

Surely Yours,
AGL