Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:59:19 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Robert J Rust <robert.j.rust@uwrf.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip nat

On 20 Apr 99, at 20:13, Robert J Rust wrote:

> Hello.  I am currently a Debian Linux 2.0 user whose system died and is in
> need of replacement.  I chose Debian Linux for its reliability and ease of
> setup to forward Internet traffic between my dialup PPP connection and my
> LAN of 3 other machines.  One of the things I liked most about the setup
> is that unlike the other OSes I have tried (NetBSD, OpenBSD, and
> LinuxPPC), Debian correctly forwarded DCC requests/transmissions (for
> Internet Relay Chat).  A friend of mine wants me to use FreeBSD on my new
> system (probably about a 300 MHz K6-2, 64 MB RAM, etc..).  My question for
> you is how well does FreeBSD handle my IP forwarding issue?  Incidently...
> the system will also be running netatalk and apache for developing
> websites on my Macintoshes.

I use ipfilter, which comes with 3.* although I am not using that version
for historical reasons (I swapped to ipfilter back on 2.2.7 I think).  I
think it does what you want with the exception of the DCC send from inside
the firewall.  Receives are fine.  The problem is the DCC protocol
standard.  You could use something like the BNC proxy to get around that
issue.

I've also seen mention of an ipproxy in the ipfilter mailing lists, but I
haven't followed it up.  Perhaps putting a question to that list might
help (ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au) but I think you must be subscribed to
send to the list ==> Send mail to majordomo@coombs.anu.edu.au with
"subscribe ipfilter" in the body of the mail.

That said, I'm *told* but have not investigated the features of natd which
allow DCC to work unhindered by NAT.  See
http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd/dcc.htm for what I was told.

hth
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited