Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 15:55:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org (freebsd-current)
Subject:   Exabyte 8mm tape drive performance in -current?

I have observed that the (read and write) performance of my 8mm
Exabyte tape drives on my -current system runs roughly half of what
it is on my 2.1-stable systems (100kb/sec vs. 200kb/sec).  This is
with both the NCR 810 and Adaptec 2940 adapters and using programs
such as dump, tar, dd, team.  The systems that I have compared have
roughly the same hardware (both are 100MHz Pentiums).  Performance
on my Wangtek QIC-525 tape drive is about the same.  Can anybody
offer up an explaination of why this is and what might be done to
fix it?

Thanks,
--
Bob Willcox