Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 14:22:48 +0100
From:      "Thomas Beauchamp" <thomas@noproblem.net>
To:        <tim@iafrica.com.na>
Cc:        <chad@DCFinc.com>, <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>, <JDBitters@cs.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 4.1-STABLE BOOT SLICE PROBLEM

-----Original Message-----
From: tim@www.noproblem.net [mailto:tim@www.noproblem.net]On Behalf Of
Tim Priebe
Sent: 03 September 2000 10:54
To: thomas@noproblem.net
Cc: chad@DCFinc.com; cjclark@alum.mit.edu; JDBitters@cs.com;
freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

It works!

^_^

Thomas Beauchamp wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My understanding is:
>
> a 'slice', in FreeBSD lingo is a 'Microsoft's partition', of which you can
> only have FOUR (past the MBR and partition table).
> FreeBSD partitions exist on a Microsoft slice, and you can have up to 8
> FreeBSD partitions per slice.
> So a 'dangerously dedicated disk', having nothing to do with Microsoft,
has
> essentially no slice, just partitions. Am I right?
>
> But I find it confusing that FreeBSD uses the 's' of slice in its naming
> terminology : '/dev/da0s1a' for instance, whilst other versions of BSD
omit
> the 'slice information' and would call the root file system '/dev/da0a'
> instead. I understand that FreeBSD support this terminology too
> ('compatibility slice naming'), but it's all confusing for me: when
> Microsoft 'partitions' are not there AT ALL (as it is the case in a
> 'dangerously dedicated disk'), why then use the term 'slice'?

Actually you can have multiple slices on a dangerously dedicated disk.
Try the following:

do a dangerously dedicated install onto a small disk.

then do a dd to copy the small disk to a bigger one.

boot off the new disk and run sysinstall. Go into Fdisk, you will see
that there is free space. Create a new slice, and then lable it, and
create a file system. Worked fine for me when I tested it to see what
would happen.

Tim.