Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2013 10:08:37 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Confused by restore(8) man page example

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 01:47:24 -0800
"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> In the man page for restore(8) I see the following:
>
>     The -r flag ... can be detrimental to one's health if
>     not used carefully (not to mention the disk).  An example:
>
>              newfs /dev/da0s1a
>              mount /dev/da0s1a /mnt
>              cd /mnt
>
>              restore rf /dev/sa0
>

> Personally, I utterly fail to see what point the author is attempting
> to illustrate with the above example.  I mean what part of this, exactly,
> may be "detrimental to one's health" ?  It's an enigma to me.

	There's nothing wrong with the example. I think "An example:"
should be in a new paragraph to make it clear that it is not related to
the warning. The detrimental effects cut in when you use -r on a filesystem
that is not pristine, or at least in the expected state for restoring an
incremental dump.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>