Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 18:32:43 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@segfault.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thought about allocation of the first 1024th ports

 Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 15:42:18, crandall wrote about "RE: thought about allocation of the first 1024th ports":

> We run ipfw+natd for local port redirection on some of our web servers. That
> allows us to avoid setuid root executables.
>
> I've found it to be a very workable solution for programmers and system
> admins.

It's not objection, but just comment; and nevertheless still;))
"Very workable", but on ideal. Consider, i.e., squid on port 3128,
and intruder's program, which binds the same port with SO_REUSE*.
At least it blocks whole port if squid falls (squid likes fall;))
(Please don't say that there should not be bad guys' shells on server.)
That's why I say problem is not of large priority, but of large severity.

> On most Unix systems and on FreeBSD, the first 1024th ports can't be
> allocated by a
> non-root process. As far as I know, this is justfied because services
> running on these
> ports generally require root privileges to accomplish their tasks because
> they are
> intended to be used by all the users on the system and need to access to
> their datas.

/netch