Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:19:57 +0000
From:      David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to actually make a difference (Re: dot-0 releases)

Quoting <Pine.BSF.4.21.0003220856410.38400-100000@freefall.freebsd.org>
by Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, David Murphy wrote:

> With all the wastage of words on this topic, you (and others) could
> have written the simple patches to the documentation which clarify
> the "upgrading from source" issues and any others you may have. The
> doc committers don't have some god-given mandate on system
> documentation, you know.

Yes, at this point, we have certainly spent more time discussing than
it would have taken to just fix the manual, *however*...

> The first draft might not be acceptable to everyone, but it would be
> a start, and it would be a hell of a lot more constructive than just
> saying "something should be done to improve the documentation, by
> god".

...it would be a damn sight more constructive to say "What you've done
isn't what we recommend you do. Unfortunately, the documentation does
not yet reflect our current recommendations. If you write up your
experiences, we'll incorporate them into the documentation" instead of
saying "Fool! Don't you know the way we do things here?". Basically,
if people considered what was and was not currently in the handbook
before flaming, you wouldn't have people complaining that they were
flamend because the manual's not up to date.

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."