Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:07:24 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Nicholas Esborn <nick@netdot.net>
Cc:        Marc Spitzer <mspitze1@optonline.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The way forward

Thus spake Nicholas Esborn <nick@netdot.net>:
> Pf seems to scale better than netfilter/iptables, ipfw, or ipf.  Other
> than reading through OpenBSD's pf documentation, I found a paper at:
>
>   http://www.benzedrine.cx/pf-slides.pdf

The server seems to be down right now.  Do you have the title of
the paper?

> I also like that you can use macros in its config files

The macroexpander for my firewall is already pretty good.  It is
called the Bourne shell.

> and that it
> automatically structures your ruleset for you to some extent (I think
> this obsoletes head/group in ipf).

What do you mean by this?  It sounds interesting.  Do you mean
that it does some sort of static or dynamic optimization, or
something else?

> And it can randomize TCP ISNs for
> OSes which do not.  And you can use lists for ports or protocols.
[...]
> Sadly, most of the discussion I've seen here about pf on FreeBSD is
> basically "Why would we need another packet filter?"

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you haven't convinced me
that I need another packet filter yet!  FreeBSD randomizes ISNs,
and ipfw now supports lists of ports or even IP addresses.  The
missing feature I personally would like to see is a flexible
interface for application-level firewalling.