Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:40:37 -0500
From:      Jonathan Pennington <john@coastalgeology.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jpilot/PilotManager...?

* Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> [010227 03:23]:
> connection. I've been thinking about trying to get it to work on USB,
> but I want a USB cradle, not just a USB<->serial converter (though I'm
> thinking about trying that - so let me know how it works out!)

Mine is a straight USB cradle. I'll let the list know how things turn
out.

> USB devices are hot-swappable, and according to the jpilot sources,
> "The USB device doesn't exist until the cradle is pressed". I vaguely
> recall people mentioning problems related to this on the pilot-unix
> list. If you haven't, enable usbd (add 'usbd_enable="YES"' to
> /etc/rc.conf). That should cause the device to be configured when you
> press the sync button on the cradle, which is what's missing.

USB is working because I can use ColdSync fine (should probably stick
with command line tools anyway). Also, I've started Jpilot both with
and without the cradle-button pressed. If press the HotSync button,
then tail -f /var/log/messages, *then* start Jpilot and try to sync, I
get "pi_bind: Invalid Argument," strangly enough, this seems to be an
improvement over "Device not configured."

I looked on the pilot-unix list, and saw people using pilot-tools with
Visor/USB successfully under Linux, but no FreeBSD specific stuff,
which made me think it might be FreeBSD specific.

-J
--
CoastalGeology.Org (CGO)	| EGg0 Educational Robotics	|