Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 08:35:04 -0500 (CDT)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail ? Again

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Paul wrote:

> Hi,
> >
> >cat /etc/sendmail.cf | grep DZ, or you could mail yourself and look at
> >the headers.
>
> Ok, but how can I tell what binary is running?

echo '$Z' | sendmail -bt | grep -v '>'

> When compiled does it automatically put the program into a specific
> directory? or do I have to move the compiled binary?

If you compile the source straight from sendmail.org, you have to move
it. The filename before it's move is something like:

sendmail-8.8.6/src/obj.FreeBSD.2.2.2.i586/sendmail

(this is a relative path where sendmail-8.8.6 is the root directory for
the unzipped/untarred sendmail distribution files). The actual path
depends or your release and architecture.

> >> Am I supposed to put the sendmail.cf file in my /etc directory?
> >
> >Yes.
> >
> What m4 made looks much different than the sendmail.cf file I am using now
> here is the file.. is this correct?

>From the sendmail-8.8.6/cf/README file:

Configuration files are contained in the subdirectory "cf", with a
suffix ".mc".  They must be run through "m4" to produce a ".cf" file.
You must pre-load "cf.m4":

        m4 ${CFDIR}/m4/cf.m4 config.mc > config.cf

where ${CFDIR} is the root of the cf directory and config.mc is the
name of your configuration file.

In your case, ${CFDIR} is probably sendmail-8.8.6/cf. Let's say, for
example, you unzipped/untarred sendmail.8.8.6.tgz in /home/bud. In that
case, from whatever directory you have you config.mc, issue the command:

m4 /home/bud/sendmail-8.8.6/cf/m4/cf.m4 config.mc > config.cf

The config.cf file is the one you'll eventually move to /etc/sendmail.cf.
HOWEVER, you'll really be wanting to read the file
sendmail-8.8.6/cf/README *before* you run the above command, since you'll
likely want to customize the config.mc for your individual needs before
generating the new .cf file.

Cheers,
Mick