Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 01:40:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        kelvin Liu <kelvin@taipingcarpets.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: err in file system full

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, kelvin Liu wrote:

> Dear Alfred,
>
> I get one more error that is
>
> unix  /kernel: pid [9717] (mail.local) , uid 0 on /:file system full
>
> But I check my hard disk space that is more space. Could you tell me
> what is this mean. Thanks you very much

It seems that you have setup a mail host for users but not set up the
machine AS a mail host, there are several things you want to keep
in mind when running a mail server,

your /tmp and /var should have a LOT of free space in it to spool
messages, you can remedy this problem by using symlinks to partitions
where there is more space.  Or by reinstalling and giving yourself
about 120 megs for / and anywhere from 300 to several gigs for
/var

by the way, there is no need to "cc" me directly, i am subscribed
to freebsd-questions and you are sending me duplicate messages this
way, flattering but at the same time a bit inconvient for me. :)

I'll see your mails to freebsd-questions.

good luck,
-Alfred