Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:10:05 -0400
From:      Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   help! su(1) is still broken

I cvsupped earlier in the week (august 9th) for the first time in
about 3 weeks. The pam changes seem to have broken su on my machine.
I'm using the default pam.conf (via mergemaster), so I would assume
that it should work. I can't seem to tweak it into behaving.  I
searched the list, but moving libpam to /compat/lib didn't work
for me.  The best clue so far is the contents of my security log
(I turned on debugging).  pam_wheel seems to be working, but pam_unix
blows in completely:

Aug 16 12:06:07 su: pam_unix: pam_sm_authenticate: Options processed
Aug 16 12:06:07 su: pam_unix: pam_sm_authenticate: Got user: toor
Aug 16 12:06:07 su: pam_unix: pam_sm_authenticate: Doing real authentication
Aug 16 12:06:10 pam_unix: pam_sm_authenticate: Got password
Aug 16 12:06:10 su: pam_unix: pam_sm_authenticate: Encrypted passwords are: **NuIxEpaVQeE & *
Aug 16 12:06:10 su: pam_unix: pam_sm_authenticate: returning PAM_AUTH_ERR

I trimmed the lines a little.  The thing that makes no sense here is
that I'm using md5 passwords.  When I login as toor on the console,
pam_unix does the right thing.  So perhaps it some sort of bizarre
crypto problem.  I really don't know where to go next, or what to zap
and re-build, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Robert Sexton, robert@kudra.com
No one told me that it could not be done, and so I did it. - Jack Kloepfer