Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 13:26:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sergiy Zhuk <serge@yahoo-inc.com>
To:        Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
Cc:        Igor Roshchin <igor@alecto.physics.uiuc.edu>, iang@digs.iafrica.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fsck problem at boot time

hi

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Scot Elliott wrote:

> Actually, I find this with Pine all the time too... is this a bug in pine?

not only pine, but any process, waiting for user input and diassociated from
its control terminal, i.e. processes which are not designed to run as
daemons.

> But my point about limiting daemon's CPU time still applies - you don't
> very often execute interactive processes as daemon.  I hope.

typical case:
home -> (Internet) -> ssh host1 -> destination ssh host2, run pine (emacs,
vi, joe).
Then drop your dial-up connection at home.
Then login again and look at system load as well at ps ax|grep RN
pretty amazing...
If you close ssh at home, it will work fine, i.e. pine will be terminated,
catching SIGHUP (or whatever) from the parent shell.

--
rgds,
serge