Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:03:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
To:        Mike <mike@seidata.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw rules to allow DNS activity

> > hehe). Anyway, I was wondering what are the minimum rules necessary to
> > allow DNS queries/transfers from other servers to my server, and also to
> > allow queries from my server to other servers.
>
> I'm running BIND8, and would suggest that you simply use an
> 'allow-transfer' statement in named.conf if you are doing the same.
> Unless you prefer using ipfw for some reason, setup and maintenance seems
> much simpler and understandable through named.conf.

Hi Mike,

The reason is, because even if I allow that, an ipfw firewall that
denies everything except what is specifically allowed will still prevent
all DNS activity. I think the others covered it pretty well though. And
thanks for the allow-transfer tip, I can probably use that in addition to
the ipfw rules. :)