Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:48:52 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel won't build from kernel sources

At 5:02 PM -0400 8/16/01, Bill Moran wrote:
>Before I get flamed or anything, let me first say that I don't
>know for sure that this is broken, but it WAS broken in 4.3-RELEASE.
>I have been meaning to cut a CD and see if it's still broken
>in 4.4-PRERELEASE but I've been simply overwhelmed lately.

I can sympathize with being overwhelmed, particularly since there's
some roadwork going on right outside my home which has been forcing
me awake at 7:30am for the past two weeks...

Still, it might be nice if you included just a LITTLE more information,
from what you do remember of the problem from 4.3-RELEASE (though it
seems odd to me that we haven't seen a lot of questions about this in
all the time since 4.3-release).

Information, like, maybe....    WHAT does not work?

Did you go to /usr/src, and do a
      make kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
?
Or did you go into /usr/src/sys/i386/conf, and try to
     /usr/sbin/config GENERIC
     cd ../../compile/GENERIC
     make depend ; make ; make install
?

Did it not *compile*, or did 'make' not know how to make some target?
Were some include files missing?  Was it an error on some invocation
of 'install'?  Were some module files missing?  When you say you
installed "just the kernel sources", how did you do that install?

We may well appreciate the bug-report, there isn't enough details in
it to do anyone any good.  Given that this is (apparently) the first
report we've had since 4.3 was released, then whatever the problem is,
it does not seem like anything we need to urgently fix.

>If nobody else gets around to it first, I'll make a concentrated
>effort to test this over the weekend, ...

If you can give us some details of the problem, it would make it easier
for someone to decide how urgent it is for that problem to be fixed.
If you don't find the time to get us at least that much information,
then the chances of it getting addressed for 4.4-release are mighty
small (unless it happens to already be fixed).  My guess is that you
are not the only one who is overwhelmed with things to do...