Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 13:16:12 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Voodoo 3 and fxtv

jonathan michaels:
 |On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 11:46:58AM -0400, Randall Hopper wrote:
 |> Amancio Hasty:
 |>  |Say is anyone having problems with fxtv and the Voodoo 3 ?
 |>
 |> I should rag you for not buying an OpenSource 3D card, but I won't ;-)
 |
 |care to recommend one, please. i'm about to get into tv on my
 |computer and really havent a clue where to start. i've heard bt
 |848 (brooktree) cards are good place to start. i'm hoping to
 |get a frame grabber as well.
 |
 |i've looked at the matrox g400, but don't know if it is open
 |source enough or if our version of xfree86 will support it.

For the TV card, I think you've got the right idea.  Hauppauge makes good
bt848 cards.

As for a 3D card with open source specs, I've attached a netnews post I
made a while back that might be of some help.  It has some links to get you
going.

In the 3D-for-the-masses 3D cards category, G400-, TNT2-, and Voodoo3-based
AGP cards are currently the top-of-the-line.  Of the three, only Voodoo3
doesn't have open source specs.  If you want to stick with PCI for now (as
I did), look for a G200- or TNT-based card (G400 and TNT2 don't come in
PCI).

I chose a G200.  More details can be found here:

     http://www.ipass.net/~dbhopper/aa8vb/Matrox-G200/

Hope this helps,

Randall

I'm not up on the HW-accel OpenGL support for commercial X servers (Xi,
Metro Link, etc.), so I'll discuss XFree86 support.

AFAIK, there currently exists full open source HW-accel OpenGL using
XFree86 for Matrox G200/G400 cards and RIVA 128/ZX/TNT/TNT2 cards for both
FreeBSD and Linux.  If you're willing to accept a non-open source,
IA32-specific, Linux-specific solution add 3dfx cards to the list.  Also,
there's reportedly GMX2000 support in the latest XFree86 4.0 prerelease,
but I don't know the details (see the snapshots page on www.xfree86.org).

The GLX development efforts are still work-in-progress so there are bugs
and unimplemented features here-and-there, but it generally works pretty
well with most apps (on my card at least).  I have a G200 running on
FreeBSD with HW-accel OpenGL and am pleased with the performance.  I've run
a variety of apps from simple demos to OpenDX (IBM Data Explorer).
Performance will only get better when DRI support is added.

Here are some links to surf on XFree86/GLX HW accel which should be helpful:

GLX

  http://glx.on.openprojects.net/
    GLX for XFree86
  http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna/XFree86-3D-status.html
    XFree86 3D Status Report
  http://reality.sgi.com/ripperda_engr/glx/matrox_news.html
    SGI: GLX Acceleration for XFree86 and Linux
  http://www.mesa3d.org/misc/SIGGRAPH99BOF.html
    SIGGRAPH 1999 OpenGL/Linux BOF Minutes

XFree86/DRI

  http://www.precisioninsight.com/demo.html
    Precision Insight "Direct Rendering Demo"

3D Software

  http://www.mesa3d.org/
    The Mesa 3D Graphics Library

3D FreeBSD/Linux

  http://www.freebsd.org/~3d/
    FreeBSD 3D Home Page
  http://www.freebsdzine.org/199907/features/tnt.html
    FreeBSD: Hardware OpenGL on a TNT card
  http://glide.xxedgexx.com/
    Linux 3D
  http://glide.xxedgexx.com/LinuxWorld99/LinuxWorldSGML.html
    OpenGL/Mesa 3-D Support For Linux
  http://glide.xxedgexx.com/software.html
    3D Software for Linux

3DFX

  http://www.voodooextreme.com/
    Voodoo Extreme - Honey-roasted 3D gaming news...
  http://www-hmw.caribel.pisa.it/fxmesa/index.shtml
    The Mesa Voodoo driver home page
  http://www.netroedge.com/~phil/3dfx-howto.html
    3Dfx and Mesa Howto
  http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html
    3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc
  http://www.cpx-ssc.de/~y0d0004/docs/vbv3-suse-mini-howto/
    VB/V3 SuSE Mini Howto
  http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/x-windows/voodoo3.html
    Linuxnewbie: Voodoo3
  http://web.missouri.edu/~ccblake/
    Quake2 & Q3Test with 3Dfx and LINUX
  http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~trmusson/home/3dfx/debianv3.html
    debian voodoo3 guide
  http://www.cpx-ssc.de/~y0d0004/docs/vbv3-suse-mini-howto/html/
    How to setup a Banshee/Voodoo3 under SuSE Linux

TNT

  http://www.nvidia.com/Marketing/Products/Pages.nsf/pages/linuxdownload
    NVidia TNT Server & Linux FAQ