Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 11:21:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removal of Disklabel

:On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 03:59:15PM +1100, Gregory Bond wrote:
:> I know of no Unix variant with more than 8 partitions/ disk
:
:OpenBSD has 16 / disk.
:
:--
:-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
:          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX

    The only thing preventing us from having 16 is our device number
    mapping.  Unfortunately, there is no truely clean way to add another
    bit in the right place.  We would have to scrap an existing bit
    elsewhere (which may not be such a bad thing).  Eventually we won't
    need device nubers at all, but for now we are somewhat stuck.

					-Matt