Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:43:02 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        "Lazaro Daniel Salem" <SALEM@statoil.com>
Cc:        "B. K. Minazzi" <bm1073@denverweb.net>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: subscribe

> But (there is always a "but" ....) I think to make the subscription procedure
> "fool-proof", most of the e-mail addresses in that and similar paragraphs sho
ud
> not be hhtp links but raw text. Only the majordomo@FreeBSD should be kept
> as a http "mailto" link in that page. In that  way people won't even have the
> chance to "click" except to the right address: majordomo@FreeBSD.org

I totally agree.  Does somebody on doc want to do this or should I
dive on it?

In fact, to be honest I think we should just change the referenced
entities in mailing-lists.ent to no longer be marked up with <email>
tags.  This is a problem pretty much everywhere we reference a mailing
list and it's the reported cause of more than a few bogus subscribe
messages.

And yes, I've already heard the idea of having a filter which grabs
those messages and filters/does the right thing with them and I've
heard it more than once.  Everybody suggests it, but nobody wants to
wade into our mail-handling scripts and actually implement such a
thing, so let's just fix the problem at the source. :)

- Jordan