Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:33:36 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mycroft@mit.edu (Charles M. Hannum), thorpej@nas.nasa.gov, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, core@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

>> That's *not* true.  In the case in question, the code was *clearly*
>> copied, and in fact a notice was later added -- but only after
>> repeated insults and harassment by you, Garrett and Rod.  Indeed, at
>> one point I was told that a superset of the code had had my copyright
>> notice removed and was sent to the Copyright Office to be registered
>> under someone else's name (an allegation which itself appears to have
>> been false).
>>
>That isn't true,  if you are speaking of if_ed.c.

   Actually, I believe he is talking about if_ie.c. In that case there was
some code, apparantly that had the origin of NetBSD/mycroft that was used
in some way to add the 3c507 support. I must admit that I had completely
forgotten about this (it was something like 4 years ago, after all). I don't
know how much of his code was "copied", but nonetheless, I think Charles was
poorly treated in that instance. For those that remember the environment
that all of that occured in, it shouldn't be too surprising.
   Anyway, I'd really like to put this issue behind us. I see no reason to
open old wounds and the mistake that Doug made has been corrected - even
the RCS files have been purged of the old rev at Jason's request.
   On behalf of the FreeBSD Project, I offer our sincere apologies that the
mistake was made in the first place and I want to thank Jason for pointing
it out so that it could be promptly corrected.

-DG

David Greenman