Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 2015 14:13:10 -0400
From:      Michael Jung <mikej@paymentallianceintl.com>
To:        "jg@internetx.com" <jg@internetx.com>, FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Zoned Commands ZBC/ZAC, Shingled SMR drives, ZFS

I understand there to be three different types of SMR drives: Device manage=
d,
Host aware and Host managed.=20

It is my belief that only 'Device managed' drives are shipping
which any file system can use, but the file system has no mechanisms to=20
leverage or control the drives behavior hence they are not good candidates=
=20
for any RAID like system.

'host aware' or 'host managed' SMR drives open the real possibilities for u=
se
under ZFS and other file systems. =20

I found these links of interest.

Tim Feldman - Host-Aware SMR - OpenZFS Dev Summit 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Db1yqjV8qemU

http://open-zfs.org/w/images/2/2a/Host-Aware_SMR-Tim_Feldman.pdf

http://www.snia.org/sites/default/files/Dunn-Feldman_SNIA_Tutorial_Shingled=
_Magnetic_Recording-r7_Final.pdf