Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:00:36 +0000
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot up failure

Tony Kimball wrote:

> Quoth Michael Smith on Wed, 11 June:

A bit deleted for brevity...

> I have a large IDE disk with one block that will not read.
> Am I to understand that FBSD provides no mechanism to deal
> with a single bad block on a disk?

I just recently installed 2.2.2 on my 3.2GB Western Digital EIDE drive
that until recently had a large amount of bad blocks which prevented
FreeBSD from being installed at all.  FreeBSD DOES have means for
detecting and marking bad spots (called 'bad144') which the install can
optionally use before the filesystem is placed on the drives (or
after??). However, either bad144 or the way the filesystem is designed
cannot handle a large amount of bad spots, and thus my drive was useless
for a long time.  I finally recently got ahold of some utilities from WD
which thoroughly tests the drive (and destroys all data, i might add)
and remaps all bad-spots.  In essence once it has done its job you have
a "defect free" drive.

Chris Dillon