Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:02:31 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Clive Lin <clive@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FUJISHIMA Satsuki <sf@FreeBSD.org>, i18n@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/ftp/wget Makefile pkg-plist ports/ftp/wget/files patch-ac

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:44:10AM +0800, Clive Lin scribbled:
| On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 06:03:14AM +0900, FUJISHIMA Satsuki wrote:
| > > All I want to say is,
| > > this is the Right Thing (tm), thank you.
| > >
| > > Since GNU doesn't accept this po file, neither we do.
| >
| > wget-1.6 has share/locale/zh/LC_MESSAGES/wget.mo. I think
| > wget/files/zh_TW.Big5.po has been integrated into GNU `official'
| > distribution, so we need not to keep it in ports tree. Is this
| > correct?
| <ot>
| Yeah, but this might abandon people in mainland China who use wget.
| There're at least 2 zh locales, zh_CN.EUC and zh_TW.Big5.
|
| Put a big5 .mo in zh/ directory is not good for FreeBSD, though.
|
| I've seen some progress or proposal in glibc that would eliminate all zh_*
| and integrate into a single zh locale. Some information like encoding name
| would be retrived via nl_langinfo() or so.

The glibc people are smoking 99.99995% medical grade crack straight from
the storage safes of Merck Pharmaceutials Inc.

I think Clive is capable of deciding the cleaniest way of doing this. :)

| This is not all Linuxism, but they just leaves *BSD behind. sigh.
| </ot>
| > I don't have Chinese-readable environment for now. (but should do. :-)

As to nl_langinfo() stuff, I have work in progress.