Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 1999 14:28:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        amybsd@hotmail.com (Amy Wennings)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating all installed ports

Amy Wennings wrote,
> Is there a simple way to update all installed ports after a CVS update of
> the port tree?

I do not believe so. And probably for good reason. Off of the top of
my head I can think of quite a few non-trivial hurdles to get the
process right.

However, if you want to try, you can probably write a script to take
the listing of /var/db/pkg, trim off version numbers, find the port's
directory in /usr/port, then drop in there and uninstall, make,
install, and clean. You might want to try things like, not install the
same version again, don't uninstall a port to only find the new one is
labeled broken.

Like I said, you can try that. I am not sure if you really want to.