Date:      Mon, 13 May 2013 07:58:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
To:        Roland van Laar <roland@micite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS mirror install /mnt is empty

--2055831798-948406826-1368424715=:72982

On Sun, 12 May 2013 23:11+0200, Roland van Laar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I followed these[1] step up to the Finishing touches.
> I'm using a 9.1 Release.
>
> After the install I go into the shell and /mnt is empty.
> The mount command shows that the zfs partitions are mounted.
> When I reboot the system it can't find the bootloader.
>
> What can I do to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roland van Laar
>
> [1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE

Looking through the wiki notes I would do a couple of things in a
different way.

Since you're running 9.1-RELEASE you should take into account the need
for the /boot/zfs/zpool.cache file until 9.2-RELEASE exist or you
switch to the latest 9-STABLE.

Create your zpool using a command like this one:

zpool create -o cachefile=/tmp/zpool.cache -m /tmp/zroot zroot /dev/gpt/disk0

Copy the /tmp/zpool.cache file to /tmp/zroot/boot/zfs/zpool.cache, or
in your case to /mnt/boot/zfs/zpool.cache after extracting the base
and kernel stuff.

In the wiki section Finishing touches, perform step 4 before step 3.
The final command missing in step 3 should be zfs unmount -a once
more. Avoid step 5 at all cost!

Maybe this recipe is easier to follow, it sure works for 9.0-RELEASE
and 9.1-RELEASE, I only hope you're happy typing long commands, and
yes, command line editing is available in the shell:

https://ximalas.info/2011/10/17/zfs-root-fs-on-freebsd-9-0/

Due to advances in hard drive technology, for the worse I'm afraid,
i.e. 4K disk blocks, I wouldn't bother enabling compression on any ZFS
file systems. I might change my blog posts to reflect this stop gap.

If you do happen to have 4K drives, you might want to check out this
blog post:

https://ximalas.info/2012/01/11/new-server-and-first-attempt-at-running-freebsdamd64-with-zfs-for-all-storage/

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |