Date:      Wed, 02 May 2001 15:14:13 -0500
From:      Barry Pederson <barryp@medicine.nodak.edu>
To:        ozz@FreeBSD.org.ru, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   databases/db3 .so links

This FreeBSD port seems a little goofy, after installing it, I ended up with
this in /usr/local/lib:

-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel   524855 May  2 12:08 libdb3.so
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel        9 Sep 29  2000 libdb3.so.1 -> libdb3.so
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel        9 May  2 12:08 libdb3.so.2 -> libdb3.so

That linkage seems backwards compared to everything else in /usr/local/lib.
Shouldn't the real .so file should be named libdb3.so.2, and libdb3.so should
link to it?

I had a cyrus-imap installation that was linked to the libdb3.so.1 (which came
from a db 3.1.17 installation that seems to have had the same backwards
linkage), but after installing this new port, libdb3.so.1 is now suddenly db
3.2.9 instead of 3.1.17, which seems to have freaked out Cyrus - which I ended
up reinstalling quickly to get my e-mail flowing again (although the current
Cyrus port is different than what I had before, and I still have some problems
- very irritating)

This seems like a good way to screw lots of things up..or is there some reason
it has to be this way?

	Barry