Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:45:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Charles Reese <reese@chem.duke.edu>
To:        support@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cycolom/ppp problem

Hi,
        I am trying to set up a cyclomYe16 card and I am having trouble; I
spoke to Brian at Cyclades and he said I should ask for assistance from you.
I am using FreeBSD 2.1R (Jan. 96 CD) on a 486/120.  I have enabled kernal
support for the cy driver:

device		cy0	at isa? tty irq 11 iomem 0xd4000 iosiz 0x2000 vector cyintr

and ppp:

pseudo-device	ppp	17

the only change I made to the line was to use irq 11 (and the board is also
set to irq 11).  I have made the device drivers ttyc0-ttycf and cuac0-cuacf.
I am using the lines:

		comcontrol /dev/tty$ci$i dtrwait 100 drainwait 180
		# Lock crtscts on.
		# Speed reasonable for V42bis.
		stty </dev/ttyi$ci$i crtscts 57600
		stty </dev/ttyl$ci$i crtscts
		stty </dev/cuai$co$i crtscts 57600
		stty </dev/cual$co$i crtscts
in rc.serial

and:

#cyclades multiport lines
ttyc0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600" dialup on insecure
ttyc1 "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600" dialup on insecure

in ttys.  These are from files from people who have the CYCLOM Ye board working.

The pppserv script (from the Handbook) is:

#!/bin/sh
#/etc/ppp/pppserv script will enable ppp server on your machine

ps ax |grep pppd |grep -v grep
pid=`ps ax |grep pppd |grep -v grep|awk '{print $1;}'`
if [ "X${pid}" != "X" ] ; then
        echo 'killing pppd, PID=' ${pid}
        kill ${pid}
fi
ps ax |grep kermit |grep -v grep
pid=`ps ax |grep kermit |grep -v grep|awk '{print $1;}'`
if [ "X${pid}" != "X" ] ; then
        echo 'killing kermit, PID=' ${pid}
        kill -9 ${pid}
fi

# reset ppp interface
ifconfig ppp0 down
ifconfig ppp0 delete

# enable autoanswer mode
kermit -y /etc/ppp/kermit.ans

# run ppp
pppd /dev/ttyc0 57600

and kermit.ans:

set line /dev/ttyc0
set speed 57600
set file type binary
set file names literal
set win 8
set rec pack 1024
set send pack 1024
set block 3
set term bytesize 8
set command bytesize 8
set flow none

pau 1
out +++
inp 5 OK
out ATH0\13
inp 5 OK
out AT&F\13
inp 5 OK
echo \13
out ATS0=1\13   ; change this to out ATS0=0\13 if you want to disable
                ; autoanswer mod
inp 5 OK

echo \13
exit

The problem is that the kermit.ans script seems to just lock up.  Sometimes
I see a bunch of what looks like login prompts flash by and other times I
get the message 'inappropriate ioctl for device'.  If I send the output from
the pppserv to a file, after about 10 min., the process terminates and the
file has the message:

?Can't condition line for INPUT

four times.

However, the script does cause the RD and SD lights on the modem to light up
(Modem is a Motorola ModemSURFER 28.8).  I have tried the same scripts with
the serial port (ttyd1) and it does set the modem to auto-answer and I can
connect with PPP.
I have spent several days trying to track this down without any luck.  I did
find in the questions archive that duane@gargamel.ptw.com had the same
problem and I have emailed him to see if he found a solution but have
recieved no answer yet.

I would appreciate some help with this as I will have to return the card and
get some other one soon if I can't solve the problem.

Thanks
Charlie Reese

Thanks,
Charlie Reese