Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:20:21 -0400
From:      "u1004005" <u1004005@warwick.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD config files.

Hello:
I have been having a dialog with a gentleman from Walnut creek CD/ROM re:
FreeBSD 2.2.2
This is the question I posed to him. He suggested I send it your way. The
problem I am having is no setting changes are taking effect. They are not
being written to /etc/rc.conf. Originally I was under the impression that I
was missing the file /etc/sysconfig. Murray Stokely, Technical Support,
Walnut Creek CDROM told me that the file has been replaced by /etc/rc.conf.

I can make changes using /stand/sysinstall -- configure network interfaces,
but the changes do not appear in any of the /etc files.
The domain name I use midnight.org. is very persistent. That seems to not
want to go away at all.

this is my original message:

> Any change in to the network interfaces is ignored as is the HOSTNAME
> variable. The only thing I can think of I may have done wrong was I
> canceled out of the configuration screen after the initial install,
> thinking I could do it later. The reason for this was I did not have all
of
> my addresses etc. at the time of the install and it was getting late. I
am
> thinking about just re-installing and configuring my interfaces at
install
> time. I have checked the permissions on the files in /etc and they seem
OK.

Thank You.

Wm. Lobb
DIR MIS