Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2000 19:28:27 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   what's a good pop-before-smtp-relay package?

Has anybody found a "pop before smtp relay" database manager that
works well with FBSD and sendmail?  For those that don't understand,
this is a program that watches your pop and/or imap logs for logins
from off-site and then adds the IP addresses to a database that sendmail
consults before rejecting smtp relay.  If your address is in the
database you are assumed to be a local user and allowed to smtp relay.
This is a hack people have come up with to allow their local users to
travel and still use the "home mail server" without opening it up for
open relay to the world and having their system abused by spammers.

I've tried Curt Sampson's poprelayd from:
http://www.cynic.net/~cjs/computer/sendmail/poprelay.html

... and it runs fine for several hours or even days but then suddenly
goes nuts and grabs all the system's virtual memory.  I checked with
Curt and he has heard of this before but hasn't been able to reproduce
it locally, so he doesn't know the cause.  Apparently it's working fine
in many places without this problem.

So before I start digging through the code to try to debug this, I'm
curious if anyone knows of a different package that does the job and
runs on FBSD 3.0-R.  Or even if someone has already solved the mystery
of why Curt's poprelayd goes nuts on 3.0-R?

-Mitch