Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2008 21:18:51 +0000
From:      Chameeya Software Services Ltd. <chameeyass@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-geom@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mirror device detached on large file copy

Hello running FreeBDs 7.0 on a Celeron 800Mhz and I copied a 1.8G file acro=
ss from my Windows box to the FreeBSD box. It finished the copy..or during =
the copy I got the following:kernel : ad6 : FAILURE - device detachedkernel=
 : subdisk6: detachedkernel : ad6 : detachedkernel : GEOM_MIRROR : device d=
at : provider ad6 disconnected.kernel : g_vfs_done():mirror/dats1d[READ(off=
set=3D196937613312, length=3D16384)]error=3D6I can only think that perhaps =
its a time out or a file block error
The file appears okay on ad4 and when I look at it from a NFS mount and thr=
ough SAMBA on my Windows box.
the configuration is roughly thus
ad2 - boot drive, freeBSD installedad4 - 320G SATAad6 - 320G SATA  - compon=
ents of mirror dat I used round-robin priority. So I am not sure if the fai=
lure is copying the large file from ad6->ad4?
or from ad4->ad6. I presume it is the latter, so would wonder why I got a R=
EAD error and not a write.
I put a newfs on ad4 but not ad6 when I was building the mirror. I put the =
label on ad4 during install (also put newfs during install). Did not put la=
bel on on ad6, did not put a newfs on ad6. I Thought the gmirror would take=
 care of that, at any rate it has been working. I have put other files of s=
everal hundred megabytes without a problem. But when I tried this 1.8G file=
 this error happened. I have checked the file systems on each device and th=
ey appear identical...could be because of the mirror I am reporting only on=
 ad4 and fooling me?
Now I can see some internet documents on this where the newfs should be run=
 on the mirror. Is this the correct procedure
to ensure the file blocks are mapped properly on each drive. The drive, as =
I have said, has some files on it already and has been working=20
fine for a couple of week. It is not a heavily loaded server, its why I am =
using a slower machine.
I would appreciate any tips on determining why this happened and whether I =
built the mirror properly.
=20
Thanks,
Sal