Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:07:23 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        pekarske_bob@burr-brown.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, pekarske_bob@u2.bbrown.com
Subject:   Re: Y2K

I've moved this to -chat.

On Mon, Dec 28, 1998 at 02:50:01PM -0700, pekarske_bob@burr-brown.com wrote:

> I believe it would be in FreeBSD's best interests to be able to provide an
> upgrade path.

Sure.  There are lots of things that would be in FreeBSD's best
interests.  The problem is that naming the problem doesn't get it solved,
so the likely result is that nothing is likely to happen.  There's
all sorts of bug fixes, feature additions, and so on that would
help FreeBSD.  Some will get done because volunteers find them
interesting, and some won't because nobody bothers.  That's the name
of the game.  Most Unix people find Y2K pretty boring, because any
remining problems are likely to be minor and easy to fix, so most
people would rather work on interesting projects.  Note that people
have run FreeBSD systems with the clock set past 2000, and any
remaining problems are minor enough not to have been noticed.  The
system's not going to explode or anything.

[ NB- As I write this, David's email about the testing has arrived.
Maybe that will help to reassure you a bit.  My own statements are
not intended to say whether the testing that has been done is
adequate or not for your purposes or mine. ]

I would now like to editorialize, sort of in response to some things
that you wrote but not specifally directed at you.

Your point seems to be founded on the notion that a more thorough
Y2K audit would make FreeBSD more appealing to corporate users who
are not in a position to do this work themselves.  I'm sure that
you're right.  But on the other hand, I am of the opinion that
catering to that sort of user should not be an important goal of
the project.  That is, I would rather see us spending our time to
make life better for users who *will* contribute back to the project.
Other people are likely to disagree, and want to see lots of units
shipped, lots of name recognition, etc.  I've never been too
concerned about such things unless they lead to actual improvements
in the operating system.

Matthew

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Science rules.