Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 20:36:53 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, stefan@promo.de (Stefan Bethke), luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA-PnP w\o BIOS support?

> > > Huh?  You're claiming that PnP is the answer to all my problems, and the
> > > fact of the matter is that none of the hardware that has these problems
> > > have a PnP bios, so it solves nothing.
> > >
> > > My 560 doesn't have a PnP BIOS, and neither does Warnar's Libretto, nor
> > > do any of the ThinkPad's that I have access to, nor the NEC's, nor do
> > > the Hitachis.
> >
> > Ok, now we're getting somewhere.  Do you actually know that the systems
> > in question don't have PnP BIOS functionality?
>
> I know that some of them pre-date the PnP specification.

Ok.  But do all of them?  You're dodging the questions here again - I
added a whole pile more that you've left unanswered which might have
given a better picture of what was going on.  They're serious
questions; answers would really help.

For those that don't have PnP, as I've tried to take considerable pains
to point out, you're no worse off than before.  You can't help those
systems anyway.

> > > So, your PnP solution doesn't even begin to solve the problem I'm
> > > having.
> >
> > Ok.  But it solves a lot of other peoples' problems.  The fact that it
> > might not be the magic bullet _you're_ after doesn't alter the fact
> > that it's a huge improvement over the current situation.
>
> But, the solution should be generic enough to solve the existing
> problems, so we don't have to break compatability *again* when a
> solution is found to fix other problems.

You have a better solution?  Or are you just objecting to the whole
think on religious grounds, in that if the proposed solution isn't
perfect then it's not worth accepting in the first place?

> > > You're spreading misinformation by stating that the PnP BIOS is the
> > > panacea to all of the resource problems, when in fact it only solves a
> > > minority of the problems that people are seeing, and in fact we can't
> > > even talk to the PnP BIOS so it's not even a workable solution yet.
> >
> > It's nice to see that a few obscure laptop systems are a "majority"
>
> As you are well aware, laptop support is more than 'obscure', and is
> IMHO one of the largest growing market segments of all hardware sold.
> Unfortunately, FreeBSD's support of them *sucks*.

And using the facilities that this rapidly growing set of systems
provide in order to better support their hardware is somehow making
FreeBSD's support of these systems worse?