Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:26:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Larry S. Lile" <lile@stdio.com>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI device question

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Ron G. Minnich wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Larry S. Lile wrote:
> > No, there is a probe function in the driver kit that will find all
> > of the adapters presumably through PIO, so I have not neede to
> > delve into this yet.  They then want a pointer into the right spot
> > in memory for the config. info passed into another function.
>
> I agree with Mike. The driver kit is doing things the wrong say. Spend a
> little extra time and get it working the right way, it is not hard and
> you will not regret it.

Please read this, think about it, and then respond...

1. I want to get the entire pci config header from the card, or at
least the first 64 bytes.

2. I pass this information to the lld (olicom kit), it looks at it
and makes sure it is the right card, and configured in a sane way.
It makes NO CHANGES, it might set its ioaddress appropriately, or
set its irq - but only in its structures NOT in the card.

3. I look at its return code, 3 possibilities.
   1.  GOOD - do nothing
   2.  BAD  - lld doesn't think it is an adapter, wont use it
   3.  SET_MASTER - For some reason the card has not been set
       to master mode by the bios - I must go fix this with
       pci_write**** (whatever)

4. That is all folks!

Any io done to or from the card is redirected through calls to
my FBSD driver, which get punched through to inb, outb, ...

Any memory access the lld does, I have to give it the virtual
and/or physical address(dma only).

Any card reconfiguration that happens goes like this:
  I call an lld function to tell it what i want.
  It calls my io functions to get it done.
  Anything that affects the OS I have to do.

Bottom line:  The lld is NOT doing anything wrong!  It never end
runs the OS.

Now I fear that no one will ever give me an answer to this question
because everyone who has responded has said "Oh, GOD NO! Don't do
that" because they failed to read the question and answer me.  Instead
FUD and assumption has been rampant, you have tried to assume what
myself and the lld are going to do.  Just please answer the question
and give me the benefit of the doubt - if I do something wrong it
will only affect me!

If you are interested in what the lld does please go to:
    http://anarchy.stdio.com/pmw/doc/user.txt
once you have read this and understood it, feel free to bring
up anything you see wrong with it.

If you want to look at what my driver does please go to:
    http://anarchy.stdio.com/oltr/if_oltr.c
And then you can tell me all the things you don't like about
my driver.

This is not directed at any one person in general, it is just
the case that often people reply to posts without reading
the entire post, or making assumptions about their intent.
This leads to lots of static and no signal, just plain FUD.

Larry Lile
lile@stdio.com