Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:17:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: @Home Server Scanner?

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> Anyone know anything about that host? Any other @Home users seeing
> this too? My assumption is that it is @Home scanning for "illegal"
> servers on their network.
>
> This machine has earned a,
>
>   deny log ip from 24.0.94.130 to any
>
> In my firewall for now.

Personally I'd never run my machine without a default-to-deny firewall
policy with explicit gaps for the traffic I need. With ipfw being stateful
thesedays you can quite easily make it so NO unwanted packets get through
from the outside.

Running something like snort from ports is also very handy for knowing
when someone from the outside world decides to pay you some attention.

Kris

----