Date:      27 Jun 1997 15:27:43 -0400
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-stable user ppp woes ...

Problems began three days ago.  My ISP says noone else has
reported this, and that nothing changed since Monday, so something
must've happened on my end.

I've been running user ppp with no problems for over a year.

  On Monday, everything was fine. I downloaded the entire XFree86
binaries, plus some other stuff.  I extraced all the X stuff on top of
my existing one (after making a backup).  I also CVSup'd (to
2.2-STABLE) but didn't make world.

Starting Tuesday, ppp "hangs" after ~ 64K of transfers.  Sometimes it
takes more, sometimes less.  I had changed _nothing_ in /etc/ppp/*.
The only thing I did change was to make zsh my login shell.

Today, I got around to doing a 'make world', in the hopes that that
would fix it.  No go.  In the (lame) hope that the new X was at fault,
I've tried it without X running.  No go there either.

I've attached my ppp.conf, run by 'ppp -ddial ondemand' from
/etc/start_if.tun0.  I get the same behavior even if I dial manually.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Please at least CC me on all replies.  I can't subscribe to the list
because ppp hangs trying to download the message volume!

-Jay

# Default setup. Executed always when PPP is invoked.
#

default:
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set speed 38400
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set debug 0
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATZ OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
#

interactive:
  set phone 3012220
  set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: sachs word: xxxx"
#  disable pred1
#  deny pred1
  set openmode active

ondemand:
  load interactive
  set timeout 1800
  set ifaddr 0/0 208.192.224.8/0 255.255.255.0/0
  add 0 0 208.192.224.8