Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:19:33 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing Path prefixing for Linux binaries. (ie to run ADSM)

[cc'd to emulation as well]

Carl Makin wrote:

> I've been trying to work out a clean way to label linux binaries that I
> don't want the path prepending done to.  This prepending makes the linux
> ADSM client unusable (for example).
>
> Does anyone have any better ideas or is interested in working on this?

The prepending is not bad. What is bad is that Linux binaries don't get
to see the complete filesystem. I've been thinking about a unionfs type
solution, but haven't been able to spend more time on it.

Disabling the path prepending for Linux binaries is not a good solution
in general, because you would probably end up trying to link FreeBSD
libraries that happen to have the same name as the Linux libraries
you're actually trying to link in (assuming dynamic linking in this
case). You don't have that problem for static linked binaries. No matter
how you linked your binary, you also have possible configuration file
conflicts...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org