Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:00:30 -0700
From:      Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XF86-4??(newbie)

I just install XF86-4 and am having a couple of problems. I installed
XF86-4 from the ports and have also installed the x11/wrapper and
specified XF86-4 in the /etc/make.conf file. I could startx into twm
just fine, but now can't open a window manager from user directory.

I created an .xinitrc file with the commands 'exec xscreensaver & 'exec
fvwm' in my /home/directory

When I execute startx, xscreensaver splash screen comes up, but the
window manager doesn't, all that happens is I get a gray screen in the
background. I can move the mouse around, but there is nothing else
there.

For a split second before X starts, the following flashes across the
page:
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "lymond.lvcablemodem.com:0" in
"remove" command

I've added my hostname lymond.lvcablemodem.com to my /etc/hosts.allow
file.

I remember something like this with Debian, and it had something to do
with the xinit file in /usr/X11, but I don't remember what. Can someone
point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance

dale