Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 16:47:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, dfr@nlsystems.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pcisupport.c

ok,
here is a reason for all this...

It has benn a common thought among the FreeBSD people I have spoken too
(and that's nearly all of the main developers, INCLUDING bill Jolitz)
that with cheaper RAM and better organosed busses teh way to go is
towards removing all static devoce information from the kernel, so that
new device drivers are loaded completely dynamically.

We are living in a world where NT is the competition.
You do not recompile NT to add a device.
Nor should you have to recompile FreeBSD to add a device.
We want the distributed FreeBSD binary kernel skelaton to work with a
driver that was written  fro hardware that was built after the skelaton
was compiled. This requires that the kernle have NO (NONE, ZIP, NADA, 0)
information about the driver compiled into it. This is true as well for
BUS types. If someone writes a VMEbus module it should be
loadable to the kernel with no recompile, and after that
all VME bus devices for which tere is a driver should be usabel once their
drivers are loaded.

The config.new(8) was evaluated a long time ago and rejected.
Not because it was worse than config (.old) but because it was NOT
SUFFICIENTLY BETTER. If we did the work to convert to config.new then
that would be wasted effort, because we would then have to discard
config.new and all it's changes when we got to the next step. It was
decided (not officially, but effectively enough) that it would be just as
easy to go directly to where we want to get from old config as from new
config, so that itermediate step of config.new is wasted effort.
We are planning on dicarding  (mostly) config(.old) as well, but at least
we have not needed to do a lot ofo work on it.

NetBSD people have not the same stated aim of completely eliminating
config, so for them it made more sense to migrate to config.new.

From The FreeBSD perspective config.any is an evolutionalry dead end.
It should only be used for 5% of all systems, where people are
experimenting with features. The aim is to have the skelaton
for a particular release be completely suitable for nearly all users, and
have it taylored for particular systems by the linking in of
dynamic .ko files as needed.

THe diference between out definition of 'dynamic' an dyour definition of
'dynamic' is that in our definition the driver may not yet have been
imagined at compile time for the kernel. I the newconfig(TM) world
you need to know about the device, even if you don't have the driver
present. We consider this a vital feature. Any system that does not
support this will NOT be considered for FreeBSD.

I have watched this discussion for a while and it seens that this
concept has somehow not been understood by the newconfig people.
I believe it is because we have not specified enough what our defintion of
'dynamic' is. It must also apply to new BUS type modules as well.

The present new-bus code still has some prior knowledge for some devices
and bus types. These are to be eliminated as we progress, so you should
not think of these when you try understand new-bus.

julian