Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:11:06 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Bjarni Runar Einarsson <bre@netverjar.is>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd & identd cooperation?

Bjarni Runar Einarsson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a relatively new FreeBSD user, lured from the world of Linux by
> the FreeBSD jails... so far so good.
>
> I'm currently playing with a 4.1.1 box which gives jailed users
> access to the 'net via natd.  For those users interested in using
> IRC, the lack of an identd which will correctly either reply on a
> jail-by-jail basis or relay the ident requests back to a jailed
> identd is a bit of a problem.
>
> No, I'm not interested in randomizing the ident replies. :-)
>
> So, my question is, am I overlooking something, or is my only
> option to go ahead and hack up some identd and natd so they will
> communicate with each other?
>
> My current strategy is to use shared-memory tables to get oidentd
> and natd to talk to each other, allowing me to set up both static
> ip<->username mappings and dynamic connection<->user mappings.  I
> have a ready-to-use library (UDB) designed for just this sort of
> thing, so this shouldn't take too much effort.
>
> Am I reinventing the wheel here, or is this a worthwhile project?
> Please stop me if someone has already solved this problem!

Yeah, what you need is my "Liar's identd."  You can get the current
version from

	ftp://ftp.bsdconspiracy.net/pub/softweyr/liedentd.tgz

I have a couple of improvements from a beta tester to roll in, then
I plan to commit it as a port.  It responds with the same answer
for every request; a future version will allow you to provide a
list of responses to make.

The default reponse is "Fools trust ident"