Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:34:01 +0930 (CST)
From:      Jarrod Sayers <Jarrod.Sayers@unisa.edu.au>
To:        Brent Casavant <b.j.casavant@ieee.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ld build problem with RELENG_4_3

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Brent Casavant wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:56:04 -0500
> From: Brent Casavant <b.j.casavant@ieee.org>
> To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> Subject: ld build problem with RELENG_4_3
>
> Hello,
>
> I recently switched my cvsup tag to RELENG_4_3 from RELENG_4 (need
> to hold down code influx until I have time to jump to 4.4-STABLE),
> updated /usr/src, and attempted to buildworld.

[snip]

> I haven't yet been able to track down the source of this problem,
> and was hoping one of you might provide some guidance. I did perform
> a `make clean` from /usr/src after the update, but I don't put it
> past myself to have missed some crucial step. I even went so far
> as to completely blow away /usr/obj.
>
> There's nothing particularly interesting about my configuration.
> I've been happily chugging along with 4.3-STABLE and updates every
> few weeks for months now.

RELENG_4 tracks the latest in the STABLE branch, the equilivent of 4.4-S,
your actually sending it backwards to the security releases of 4.3-R which
may be the cause of the problem.  Try cleaning out /usr/src and /usr/obj
first and re-checking out the sources and try again.  Blowing away
/usr/obj isn't always a bad thing ;)  'make world' blows it away for you
anytways I think.

Jarrod Sayers
Information Technologist
School of Communication, Information and New Media
University of South Australia, Magill Campus.
Phone: +61 8 83024045
Fax: +61 8 83024745