Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:34:47 -0500
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Cc:        Patrick Kane <modus@echonyc.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tape drive redux

Snob Art Genre wrote:

> Now, I can get /dev/sd0a to dump fine; likewise /dev/sd0f.  But when I try
> to dump /usr, I get the following:
>
> narcissus:{/home/ben}% dump 0uf /dev/rst0 /dev/sd0f
>   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Jul 30 02:58:18 1997
>   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>   DUMP: Dumping /dev/sd0f to /dev/rst0
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>   DUMP: estimated 1023505 tape blocks on 26.30 tape(s).
>
> And it proceeds to dump until it runs out of room.
>
> The thing is, this is a 4-gig tape, and it's a 2-gig drive, so something's
> not quite right here.

Use "dump 0auf /dev/rst0 /dev/sd0f". dump(8) says "a" automatically writes
until dump gets an end-of-media message from the tape drive, then prompts
for the next tape. Think this feature is unique to FreeBSD. I remember
seeing discussion about which letter to use to activate its function.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net