Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:11:13 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ahci and ICH7?

Am 12.12.2009 um 12:39 schrieb Alexander Motin:

> Stefan Bethke wrote:
>> After being very satisfied with ahci(4) on an Intel DG45FC (G45 =
chipset) with 8-stable, I tried on a box with a Asus P-P5G41 (G41 =
chipset), but ahci is not attaching.  atapci continues to attach, and =
I'm wondering whether I'm doing something wrong, the BIOS is =
misconfigured, or ahci can't talk to ICH7-based AHCIs?  I'm loading ahci =
from loader.conf.
>=20
> There are several types of ICH7. Most of them doesn't support AHCI =
mode.
> Rare exceptions are ICH7R and ICH7M AFAIR. G41 is low-end desktop
> chipset, which uses low-end ICH7 SB, so usually there is no luck.

Looks like you're right, the BIOS does not offer any configuration =
option to enable AHCI or RAID functions for the two SATA ports.

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811