Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 01:21:16 +0100
From:      Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>
To:        Claus Assmann <freebsd+stable@esmtp.org>
Cc:        Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch for /usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc to disable submission (close port 587)

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 04:04:46PM -0800, Claus Assmann wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001, Jochem Kossen wrote:
> > I wonder why by default, the submission function of sendmail (which is
> > to my knowledge rarely used) is enabled, so i created a small a patch
> > for disabling it, maybe it could be used?
> > If not, could someone explain to me whoever uses the thing? :)
>
> We (i.e., the authors of sendmail) have enabled it by default to
> encourage its use.  If you turn it off, how do you expect that other
> programs will actually use it?

By documenting it? People will enable it if they need it. In my opinion,
every extra open port on a computer is a security risk.

As seen from your side, it has been enabled for quite some time now, did
it work? Are there programs which actually use it? Are those programs
widely used? If yes to all questions, then my patch shouldn't be used in
the default freebsd sources. Otherwise, i think it should.