Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 1996 17:14:22 +0000 ()
From:      Pedro A M Vazquez <vazquez@IQM.Unicamp.BR>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   reboots

Hello
	We assembled a PC with the following parts:

	- Soyo Motherboard (triton chipset) with on board 256k write back
	cache.
	- P133
	- 2x8M EDO RAM
	- Adaptec 2940 PCI adaptor
	- Conner CFP2105S 2.1G SCSI2 HD
	- NE2000 compatible ISA card
	- TVGA8900 1M ISA svga

	FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE installed without any problems but when
we try to build a new kernel the system reboots as if someone pressed the
reset buton. After trying out with some programs we found a very little
program like flops (a simple FPU benchmark) does the same thing, the system
reboots before the first result is printed. We have played with iozone
with several file/block sizes and no problems ocurrs. This seems something
related to hardware but we can't find out where to look for to ask the
vendor to replace the defective parts. Could someone sugest tests/diagnosis
or something to help us?

Thanks

Pedro