Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:31:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Danny Howard <dannyman@tellme.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fdisk & disklabel dont work!

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > This is great, except the system will then refuse to boot.  PXE boot
> > crashes and SCSI boot hangs, and the explanation I can find is that
> > the Adaptec controller is pissed off about the dangerously dedicated
> > mode and ends up diving by zero.
>
> That's maybe the explanation you can find, but I doubt it's correct.
> I have lots of dedicated installations running with Adaptec host
> adaptors, and it works fine.

But there are other Adaptec controllers (eg, those built on the Intel
L440GX+ motherboard) that do _not_ work in a dedicated situation.

My advice is to play it safe and put a proper slice table on. fdisk -I is
quite handy for this, assuming there's nothing on the disk you care about.
:)

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org