Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 07:36:33 -0400
From:      David Kamholz <davekam@pobox.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <dcs@freebsd.org>, <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   unable to boot -c

Hello,

I'm having what seems to be, by all accounts, a rather strange problem. I'm
new to FreeBSD, so forgive me if this has been answered somewhere before,
but I can't find any reference to it. Basically, what happens is that when I
boot with boot -c, I get an endless stream of what looks like config>
config> config> wrapping around the screen. There are no returns inserted
and it scrolls by extremely quickly -- at first I just thought it was
garbage. But when you press a key it looks like it's also printed, and it
makes it somehow easier to read so I noticed it was probably config>.
However, I haven't found any way to get past this and boot normally, so I
just reboot.

This problem occurs identically with the 4.3 boot disks, 4.4rc1 boot disks,
and 4.3 cdrom. It also occurs with a kernel a built from the 4.3 install,
and with one cvsup'd to -stable. The setting of VISUAL_USERCONFIG does not
make a difference. The one thing in common with all these setups seems to be
the hardware. However, it's nothing too unusual, and I might add that I've
run linux on it for over a year with no problems. I have a Matsonic 7192SM
motherboard. This is a slot1/socket370 board with VIA 82Cxxx chipset. I have
a Celeron 433 on it. Cards are ATI All-in-wonder Pro (Mach64), 3Com 905B,
Promise Ultra100, and RealTek 8019 (NE2000 compatible). All are PCI except
the RealTek. FreeBSD boots from the onboard IDE controller, not the Promise
card (it does, however, recognize the Promise controller and allows me to
access the drives on it fine).

I've included the config file used to build the kernel below. Let me know if
any other info would be useful. Help is much appreciated... I was just
barely able to get my RealTek card usable thanks to someone online sending
me their kernel.conf.

Regards,
Dave

machine        i386
cpu        I686_CPU
ident        SCHCOMP
maxusers    32

#makeoptions    DEBUG=-g        #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

#options     MATH_EMULATE        #Support for x87 emulation
options     INET            #InterNETworking
#options     INET6            #IPv6 communications protocols
options     FFS            #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options     FFS_ROOT        #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options        EXT2FS
options     SOFTUPDATES        #Enable FFS soft updates support
#options     MFS            #Memory Filesystem
#options     MD_ROOT            #MD is a potential root device
#options     NFS            #Network Filesystem
#options     NFS_ROOT        #NFS usable as root device, NFS required
options     MSDOSFS            #MSDOS Filesystem
#options     CD9660            #ISO 9660 Filesystem
#options     CD9660_ROOT        #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660 required
options     PROCFS            #Process filesystem
options     COMPAT_43        #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
#options     SCSI_DELAY=15000    #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options     UCONSOLE        #Allow users to grab the console
options     USERCONFIG        #boot -c editor
options        INTRO_USERCONFIG
options     VISUAL_USERCONFIG    #visual boot -c editor
options     KTRACE            #ktrace(1) support
options     SYSVSHM            #SYSV-style shared memory
options     SYSVMSG            #SYSV-style message queues
options     SYSVSEM            #SYSV-style semaphores
options     P1003_1B        #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options     _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options        ICMP_BANDLIM        #Rate limit bad replies
options     KBD_INSTALL_CDEV    # install a CDEV entry in /dev

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options     SMP            # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options     APIC_IO            # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

device        isa
device        eisa
device        pci

# Floppy drives
device        fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device        fd0    at fdc0 drive 0
device        fd1    at fdc0 drive 1

# ATA and ATAPI devices
#device        ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
#device        ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device        ata
device        atadisk            # ATA disk drives
device        atapicd            # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device        atapifd            # ATAPI floppy drives
#device        atapist            # ATAPI tape drives
options     ATA_STATIC_ID        #Static device numbering

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device        atkbdc0    at isa? port IO_KBD
device        atkbd0    at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device        psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12

device        vga0    at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device    splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device        sc0    at isa? flags 0x100

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device        vt0    at isa?
#options     XSERVER            # support for X server on a vt console
#options     FAT_CURSOR        # start with block cursor
# If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT
lines
#options     PCVT_SCANSET=2        # IBM keyboards are non-std

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device        npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Serial (COM) ports
device        sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device        sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
#device        sio2    at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
#device        sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

# Parallel port
#device        ppc0    at isa? irq 7
#device        ppbus        # Parallel port bus (required)
#device        lpt        # Printer
#device        plip        # TCP/IP over parallel
#device        ppi        # Parallel port interface device
#device        vpo        # Requires scbus and da

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device        miibus        # MII bus support
device        xl        # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

# ISA Ethernet NICs.
device        ed0    at isa? port 0x300

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
pseudo-device    loop        # Network loopback
pseudo-device    ether        # Ethernet support
#pseudo-device    sl    1    # Kernel SLIP
#pseudo-device    ppp    1    # Kernel PPP
#pseudo-device    tun        # Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device    pty        # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
#pseudo-device    md        # Memory "disks"
#pseudo-device    gif    4    # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
#pseudo-device    faith    1    # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device    bpf        #Berkeley packet filter

# internet firewalling and filtering options
options        IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options        IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
                                        # dropped packets
options        IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity
options        IPDIVERT

options        RANDOM_IP_ID
options        ICMP_BANDLIM

# USB support
device        uhci        # UHCI PCI->USB interface
#device        ohci        # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device        usb        # USB Bus (required)
device        ugen        # Generic
device        uhid        # "Human Interface Devices"
device        ukbd        # Keyboard